Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Came Early For Me

I was walking through a big box store today and I was stopped the parents of one of my players. This kid started with us as a fifth grader, and has been with us ever since. She's now in 10th grade. I really don't even remember how we got her, but we did. And I remember that when she first started, she was entirely unimpressive. A nice athlete, but no basketball skills to write about.

She's now playing for her high school team, and they got her playing J.V. and some varsity. But this kid is clearly as good or better than most of their varsity. She has developed some nifty dribble skills, is a decent shooter, and an absolute load to defend on the dribble and in the post. This kid is the kind that can carry a team on her back for a quarter or two. At least, and I mean at the very least, she's a top eighter. But they won't play her.

So anyway, I'm talking to her parents and they tell me that she said, "I can't wait to play for coach (insert my last name here) again."  Now that's pretty cool! So why the story? Because you will get the same kind of loyalty from your troops if you teach them how to play. Dribble skills, what to look for, how to get open without the ball, things like that. Then let them play, and fail, and play, and fail, and play, then succeed. Your kids will love to play this way and the beautiful thing is that you are teaching them how to play the game. Not how to play your game.

Just follow my advice and you'll be fine. And your players will love to play for you. And, eventually, you will look like a genius just because you did the right thing by them. That's a nice Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

6th Grader

6th Grader
Yeah, she shoots from here! Yours can to!

About Me

My photo
United States
So you want to know who is giving you all this advice? Okay, your advisor is an ex-college and professional coach. Fired a bunch, hired a lot more, created programs, and stood at the helm of teams that played their hearts out every game. Career record: 392 wins and 135 losses. Recruited players from virtually every state, and several countries including, Poland, Germany, England, Canada, and Brazil. Does American Samoa count as another country? Probably not. Retired now so that I can coach my own kids.