Friday, December 3, 2010

#11 You Be Doin' Bad

#11, you are awesome!!  Girl, I watched you play a week ago and I could tell you could play from the time you stepped on the floor to shoot at halftime of the J.V. game. Let me give you a whole bunch of "atta girl"s for the game that you have grabbed.

Now that I've said that to you, let me give you some free advice. Keep pushing. I counted at least 6 times during your game that you could have pushed the ball right down the face of the defense but you held up. Why? To run that silly, ridiculous offense? Stop it! Just stop it! There was no one on the floor who could stop you. Wait, I take that back. There was one player who did stop you. That player is you.

I want you to think of it this way. If you take the first quarter and establish your dominance, what do you think is going to happen? I'll tell you. The other coach is going to call time-out and furiously devise something to try and stop you. Probably a double team or some kind of sinking man defense. Now, when that happens, what should you do? Still look to score, but now you know that you have your team-mates as great options because the defense is keying on you. Do you want that #23 to go off for 20? Then get your 20 in the first half. You can do it, you got the game.

And if you don't bust for 30 at least once this year, shame on... well, shame on someone.

Coaches, if you have a kid with this kind of talent, stop bottling her up to run your offense. Turn her loose! Let her be the player that she really is! She has earned that level of respect from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

6th Grader

6th Grader
Yeah, she shoots from here! Yours can to!

About Me

My photo
United States
So you want to know who is giving you all this advice? Okay, your advisor is an ex-college and professional coach. Fired a bunch, hired a lot more, created programs, and stood at the helm of teams that played their hearts out every game. Career record: 392 wins and 135 losses. Recruited players from virtually every state, and several countries including, Poland, Germany, England, Canada, and Brazil. Does American Samoa count as another country? Probably not. Retired now so that I can coach my own kids.