Tuesday, February 1, 2011

We Didn't Even Know The Score

Recently, I was asked to sit on the bench with another coach for a game. He coaches a team that is pretty well developed, they are on the right track. The kids are learning dribble moves, post moves, moves to create shots, that kind of thing.

So we're sitting their and calling out this and that, a lot of "don't body up" and "rotate" and "move your feet". Basic stuff. And we're really into the game, just watching the kids and enjoying their effort. Now the gym was set up so that the coaches and players on the benches couldn't see the game clock. So we're well into the second half before either of us checked the score. And when we did, we both thought we were behind. That was okay, we were playing a much bigger and better team and our guys were giving a very good effort.

It wasn't until the last miinute when the other team started fouling us that we realized we were really ahead. I think that's a place all youth coaches need to be. Where the score is really irrelevant MOST of the time. Not all the time, but most of it. Because your real intention is to teach the game, not necessarily win the game.

I am one of those guys where most people would look at me and think I am a winning is everything kinda guy. Nope, not me at all. I am a "the will to win is everything" kinda guy. I think you should be to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

6th Grader

6th Grader
Yeah, she shoots from here! Yours can to!

About Me

My photo
United States
So you want to know who is giving you all this advice? Okay, your advisor is an ex-college and professional coach. Fired a bunch, hired a lot more, created programs, and stood at the helm of teams that played their hearts out every game. Career record: 392 wins and 135 losses. Recruited players from virtually every state, and several countries including, Poland, Germany, England, Canada, and Brazil. Does American Samoa count as another country? Probably not. Retired now so that I can coach my own kids.