Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Most Useless Fundamental In The Game

Yesterday I was confronted yet again with that one alleged "fundamental" that is taught over and over again, yet very few have stopped to ask, "Why?" Now, I'm not going to reveal what it is just yet, but I will say this: I spent the last month trying to drive that thinking out of my players only to have it rear its monstrous, ugly, boil encrusted head again. I am sick to death of watching high school and youth programs spend precious minutes and waste a lot of coaching hot air on this ridiculously passe and wrong-headed skill. And, perhaps even more frustrating, teaching this skill does not make players more effective it, in fact, makes players LESS effective.

So why in the heck are you teaching it? Because when your players execute this skill, everyone in the stands will say "ooohhhh" and "aaaahhhhh" at how well coached your team is. "Look at them!", they will say, "that coach really has taught them well."

And that's the only reason there is. So stop it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

6th Grader

6th Grader
Yeah, she shoots from here! Yours can to!

About Me

My photo
United States
So you want to know who is giving you all this advice? Okay, your advisor is an ex-college and professional coach. Fired a bunch, hired a lot more, created programs, and stood at the helm of teams that played their hearts out every game. Career record: 392 wins and 135 losses. Recruited players from virtually every state, and several countries including, Poland, Germany, England, Canada, and Brazil. Does American Samoa count as another country? Probably not. Retired now so that I can coach my own kids.