Wednesday, October 20, 2010

First Scrimmage

We had our first scrimmage yesterday. And I have to tell you, the kids loved it. I mean they had a blast. But here's the key I want to impress upon you, because you're thinking the kids loved it because kids love to scrimmage. No, I don't think that tells the whole story here. Let me fill in some blanks for a second.

All we have done in practice is work on individual skill development. Dribbling, one on one moves, shooting, that kind of thing. Here's what we didn't do. We didn't waste any time practicing plays or offenses or defenses.

I think I mentioned before that this team I'm blogging about is a girls team. None of whom are expected to make varsity and all of them are terribly inexperienced. We scrimmaged a bunch of boys a year younger, but still stronger and faster than us.

So what happened? We kicked their tails up and down the floor. And it was a blast. WITH NO OFFENSES, NO PLAYS, NOTHING LIKE THAT! That's the point of this blog: how to make your players better players. I remember we scored on three out of bounds plays - scored three times out of three tries, simply because we have been working on how to get open and what to do with the ball when they get it.

And the kids loved it!! They saw how all the hard work - and the KIND of work we've done - is paying off. Besides that, they like scoring a lot of points. That's fun.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant insight. I mean that's it isn't it? Get kids out of their heads, structure practice to give them skillful experience in their bodies and then let them enjoy it and they will success as a consquence. Nice work Coach.

    ReplyDelete

6th Grader

6th Grader
Yeah, she shoots from here! Yours can to!

About Me

My photo
United States
So you want to know who is giving you all this advice? Okay, your advisor is an ex-college and professional coach. Fired a bunch, hired a lot more, created programs, and stood at the helm of teams that played their hearts out every game. Career record: 392 wins and 135 losses. Recruited players from virtually every state, and several countries including, Poland, Germany, England, Canada, and Brazil. Does American Samoa count as another country? Probably not. Retired now so that I can coach my own kids.