Thursday, November 18, 2010

Please Stop Doing This!

I was at a high school game a few days ago, watching the J.V. Remember when we discussed that one fundamental that everyone teaches that I am begging you to just forget? Well, it came up again.

Now, please understand something. I used to be that guy who demanded that the players use this fundamental. I used to be the guy that boxed in players with silly rules and constraints. I used to be the guy that practiced all the wrong things. But, unlike many of you, I was also the guy who was willing and eager to learn from the best. And I took every advantage of that. So forgive my pretentious pontificating, but I think I am justified because I have made all the mistakes you might be making right now.

Anyway, here's the play. Dribbler coming down the middle of the floor on a 2 on 2. Both defenders are in the hole and the other offensive player is settled in the short corner, wide open. So here comes the dribbler with no one on him and he tries to make a running pass to his teammate. It sails out of bounds. The coach got up and said, "If you had (insert silly fundamental here) you wouldn't have made that turnover."

How wrong can one be? In fact, if the dribbler had executed this "fundamental" he would have turned it over another way. What the coach should have said, what I would have said is, "Hey, next time take it all the way to the goal and make a move or just shoot the jumpshot." And that's what you should say as well.

As coaches, we have to look beyond the simple things that we have been taught in the past and really analyze what makes a good player. It's probably not what you think. And that's what this blog is for.

Please, any questions? Ask away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

6th Grader

6th Grader
Yeah, she shoots from here! Yours can to!

About Me

My photo
United States
So you want to know who is giving you all this advice? Okay, your advisor is an ex-college and professional coach. Fired a bunch, hired a lot more, created programs, and stood at the helm of teams that played their hearts out every game. Career record: 392 wins and 135 losses. Recruited players from virtually every state, and several countries including, Poland, Germany, England, Canada, and Brazil. Does American Samoa count as another country? Probably not. Retired now so that I can coach my own kids.